Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Blondie and The Pretenders

The countdown is on and I'm not talking about Christmas even if dd has started her advent calendar! In ten days I am going to see Blondie and the Pretenders at an open air concert otherwise billed as the Day on the Green. I went to a Day on the Green concert earlier in the year and thoroughly enjoyed it, this time the bands are even more significant to me!

Blondie's Parallel Lines was the first cassette tape I ever brought, I can still remember going into WH Smiths with my gift certificate and buying it and then absolutely thrashing it to death. I know purists are all shouting that wasn't the 80s it was the late 70s. I think it was 1979, but I don't care because Blondie continued to produce some great singles in the 80s - The Tide is High being one of the biggest that I can think of and of course we can't forget Atomic and Island of Lost Souls.

When my hubby found out about this event he didn't even bother to contact me (I was overseas) instead he confirmed it for both of us and held his breath while he asked me! He was pretty confident that I'd want to see Blondie and he knew he wanted to see The Pretenders.....our dd will just have to enjoy it! Mind you she loves any live music so that shouldn't be a problem.

My hubby always seems to forget that I like the Pretenders as well (he always thinks it's his band!!) but from the sassy Brass in Pocket to the absolutely beautiful Hymn to Her I think The Pretenders (and Chrissy Hynde's voice in particular) are fantastic as well.

I will of course report back to you about how good they are, I must admit I'm getting quite excited. The only downside is that the weather has turned to custard a little bit and the long range forcast is for rain. I might go shopping for a raincoat just in case, one thing is for certain - me, hubby, daughter and four other friends will be there with bells on....we'll all (the adults that is)also forget that we're no longer teenagers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment