Saturday, April 30, 2011

Z is for ZZ Top

ZZ Top are an American rock band from Texas that were formed way back in 1969, it wasn't until 1983, however, that they hit stardom with the mainstream and that was because of their album - Eliminator.

Suddenly it seemed like everyone had heard of the Texans - two with long beards and one without who was actually called Frank Beard.   There was something about their sound with Eliminator that just struck a chord, plus they also made memorable videos which was really important during the 80s.

Gimme All Your Lovin, Sharp Dressed Man & Legs were fantastic songs, but the videos.......well even a total non-revhead like myself couldn't help but appreciate the Eliminator.   I think my favorite video was the one for Legs where the poor sales girl gets her chance to stand up to everyone thanks to the Eliminator and the Eliminator Girls that feature on ZZ Top's videos.

When I was helping to sort out my dad's garage recently I saw that he still had Rio Grande Mud, Eliminator and Afterburner on vinyl.   It was thanks to dad 'discovering' the band that I was able to sound so knowledgeable when their songs first hit the UK charts which really impressed a certain guy.........we'll say no more about that!

Which ZZ Top song was your favorite?

4 comments:

  1. Ah, I remember hanging out in the clubs and watching the ZZ videos. We loved Sharp Dressed Man ... ok, all the others, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wish I could grow a beard like ZZTop. They made facial hair iconic and defining. But what I want to know is when they're playing their guitars, do their beards ever get caught?
    Ava

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making it thorough the challenge. It was really fun. Thanks for getting me into it. I recently was given an award that I can share, so I bestow upon you the Versatile Blogger award. Stop by my post (linked to my name) for your award (and to see the rule, which you can ignore if you want) If you prefer to put it on one of your other blogs, that's fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing the challenge... I guess you're not back from your blog vacation yet :)

    ReplyDelete